Do you get cravings to eat something in the middle of the night but become confused because you do not know what to eat? It is not out of place that you are hungry at such an hour as it is something that happens to almost everyone, especially if you keep late nights.
It could be that you work till late hours of the night, or you love to stay up watching a movie or reading a book. You will surely get hungry, and it is best to eat something nutritious, which is where healthy late night snacks come to play.
We usually hear people asking about late night snack ideas, and we respond by saying that it is best to either eat low fat snacks or zero calorie snacks. They are the best snacks for anyone who wishes to eat at late hours of the night. The goal is to ensure that your body system remains healthy and to avoid future effects of late night snacks.
This article will help highlight the top 20 late healthy late night snacks for anyone to eat, and the best part is that there are things you can quickly get. The goal is to ensure simplicity while eating an excellent late night snack.
Understandably, some people have misconceptions about late night eating, and we would address it as well. We would also state why it is beneficial to eat healthy at all times.
We know that most persons worldwide love to obsess over their bodies, but this is not possible if you are not healthy. Thus, this article is for everyone.
Misconceptions About Late Night Eating
One of the most typical misconceptions we hear that surrounds late night eating is people saying that you will gain weight. The idea covers the thought that one cannot burn out what they eat late at night because they do not do many activities. However, research shows that it is not always that way.
You should know that your calorie intake matters and not what time of the day you take it. If you consume too many calories that your body cannot burn out, you will add weight.
This is why we always advise that people should eat zero calorie snacks when looking for a late night snack. It is also why this article is on healthy late night snacks so that you will know the options to choose if you want to eat late at night.
Once you pick any of the options, you are sure that you would not have issues with whatever you are consuming, and it will not make you add weight. If you are a part of those scared that eating at night will cause them to add weight, we advise that you stop starving yourself and pick from any of the options below.
Top 20 Healthy Late Night Snacks
- Smoothies: One would begin to wonder why we have this option under the top 20 healthy late night snacks to take, especially as it is a drink. However, you should also know that it classifies as a snack, in this case, and an excellent late night snack.
It is essential to know that smoothies are rich in calcium, which has many benefits for the body system, including aiding in relaxation. Some people say that it helps them fall asleep, which is not surprising since it contains tryptophan (a sleep-aiding amino acid).
- Popcorn: Another healthy late night snack option is popcorn, but many arguments are surrounding it. Some people say that it has many calories and cannot be classified as a zero calorie snack. However, it is dependent on the preparation process. For the popcorn to be a healthy late night snack, you should ensure that it does not have too much salt or butter.
Always remember that excessive consumption can have a side effect. If you consume in moderation, there would be no adverse effect on the body. Also, eating popcorn helps your body to secrete serotonin, which allows people to fall asleep.
- Cereals: There are many cereal options worldwide, and some classify as healthy late night snack options. You may have your preferences in terms of cereals, but you should ensure that it does not have excess sugar.
You should also ensure that whatever cereal you choose qualifies as low fat snacks. The idea is not to damage your body system but to keep your mouth busy while awake.
- Oatmeal: If you start craving for something to eat in the middle of the night, eating oatmeal would not be a bad late night snacks idea. After all, oats are usually recommended by medical practitioners. You should know that it comes as a healthy late night snack option as it is not heavy so that digestion would be easy.
Also, oatmeal has melatonin, the hormone that regulates the sleeping and waking cycles. If you have insomnia, it serves as a handy solution as it solves hunger and sleep issues.
- Crackers: Crackers is loved by a lot of people, little wonder why it is on our list of 20 healthy late night snacks. It is either eaten alone or combine with something else. Regardless of how you chose to combine your crackers, we can assure you that hackers are one of the healthy late night snacks.
Crackers are rich in carbohydrates. Hence they add a lot of benefits to your body system whenever you eat them.
- Greek Yoghurt: We can say that yogurts are perfect options when it concerns healthy late night snacks. However, we would like to point out Greek yogurts specifically as they are usually more nourishing.
It is generally light yet filling. Thus, you would not feel the severe effects of hunger when you wake up in the morning due to the protein it contains.
- Vegetables: It is common to see mothers infusing veggies into their children’s meals, and people always stress the essence of eating vegetables. Due to their high forage level, they can be classed as zero calorie snacks.
There are varieties of veggies, hence picking the one that suits you, wouldn’t be a problem. Since vegetables are easy to digest, they make the perfect choice concerning things to eat at night.
- Eggs: It is usually an issue of contempt regarding which form is best to eat the eggs at night. However, you should know that you can either boil it or eat scrambled eggs. It is your choice, and all are healthy as it gives protein and adds other nutrients to the body. It is also light and easy to digest.
- Protein Shake: No doubt the stereotype on protein shakes will make you question their viability as a snack. Protein shakes are not only muscle building drinks due to their protein richness, but they are also very filling and can save you a log of time scrabbling through your kitchen itinerary for a suitable late night snack.
- Strawberries: These fruits are also a part of the healthy late night snacks you can take. Aside from the fact that they contain Vitamin C, which is an essential nutrient in the body, it also has melatonin, which helps induce sleep. This comes as good news to those who experience insomnia as you would begin to feel drowsy after taking it.
- Almonds: Almonds are not usually classed with other nuts as they are exceptional in nutrient composition. These nuts are easy to eat and digest. You could take them while reading or watching a movie without diverting your attention. It is also filling, so you know that you would not wake up hungry.
The best part about almonds is that they contain magnesium, which helps to relax the muscle. Also, it contains tryptophan, best described as an amino acid that induces sleep.
- Cheese: Cheese is not just rich in a lot of amino acids and other essential minerals, it is very filling, and you would only need a few slices to get filled up. Hence, it’s validity as a late night snack.
- Bananas: Banana is an easy and healthy option to eat at night. It has a combination of magnesium and potassium, which helps to relax the muscles. It also comes as a plus that you can be eating bananas while doing other things.
- Granola: We earlier mentioned that cereals are perfect healthy late night snack options, so it is not surprising that granola makes this list. You should know that granolas are always healthy so that you can eat them at any time of the day. It is tasty and satisfying, which comes as a plus with all its health benefits.
- Avocado: Interestingly, eating avocado leads to the production of melatonin, which helps you to sleep. Regardless if you are awake by choice or experiencing insomnia, avocados come in handy as a healthy late night snack. Eating avocado would satisfy your hunger and relax your body system to have adequate rest.
- Apples: A famous saying goes, “an apple a day keeps the doctor away.” This saying and numerous medical researches endorse apple as a health enhancer. They are filling and would keep the hunger away for the night.
Some people say that they eat apples to lose weight. We cannot verify this claim as it differs with individuals. However, you are assured that eating apples at night will not lead to weight gain.
- Grapes: Grapes are classed as one of the easiest and healthiest snacks to eat at night and contain nutrients that help build the body system. It is one of those options you can be eating while doing something else.
The best part is that they are not expensive, so you know that it is easy to get irrespective of your location. Ensure that grapes are on your shopping list the next time you go grocery shopping.
- Sandwich: Sandwich is a class of different combination of food ingredients. The combination determines if it is healthy or not, but in this case, the healthy choice of ingredients would help keep you healthy and revitalized the following day, even after a long night. Hence, it’s validity as a healthy late night snack.
- Fruit Juice: Giving cognizance to fruits, fruit juice is definitely one of the easily assimilated healthy late night snacks. It is light to take, and the digestion process would also be seamless, and you don’t have to worry about chewing. Ensure to pour a glass of fruit juice when next you feel hungry at night.
- ● Nuts: Nuts are one of the healthy late night snacks to eat, and no one should tell you otherwise. Since they are light, it does not give any adverse effects; some examples are peanuts, cashew, walnuts, ….and so on, are also types of nuts to eat as healthy late night snacks.
There is no need to feel guilty the next time you get hungry at night. Instead, pick an option from our list of top 20 healthy late-night snacks. Let us know what you think; please share and leave a comment in the comment section. Cheers!!