Have you ever been to Japan before? If you have not, we know that you have heard of this country, and everyone agrees that it is a top business hub in the world. If you plan on visiting the country anytime soon, this article is for you as it covers things to do in Osaka and Tokyo.
Osaka and Tokyo are two primary cities in Japan, and they have high potentials, hence, the increased inflow of foreigners always. Since there are many Osaka attractions, it will be wrong for tourists to say that they are looking for what to do in Osaka.
Studies say that Tokyo is the biggest city globally, so you know that there would always be things to do in the city. Both Osaka and Tokyo have their unique features, and we would try to cover diverse aspects so that you will not look lost when you visit any of these cities.
While analyzing the things to do in Osaka, we shall cover Osaka attractions, restaurants to visit in Osaka, the best places to stay in Osaka, and others. The same shall also be discussed concerning Tokyo, and you will have in-depth knowledge of these cities at the end of the article.
Top Ten Things to Do in Osaka
Irrespective of whatever reason you may be visiting Osaka, we know that you will be curious about the things to do in Osaka, so that we will be highlighting some Osaka attractions:
- Osaka Castle:
One of the things to do in Osaka is to visit the beautiful Osaka castle. It is a renowned and historic castle with a history dating as far back as the 1950s. It will help you know that it is one of the tallest buildings in the city, so it also serves as a landmark.
You can learn a lot from the visitation as it has a museum within it. Foreigners are always in awe when they behold this building, and we know that you will not be an exception, especially as its gardens turn golden during the autumn season.
- Universal Studios Japan:
Almost everyone, especially movie lovers are familiar with Universal Studios, and it would be a dream come through to visit any of its theme parks. Thus, giving you what to do in Osaka. Since it is a movie-themed amusement park, you know that you will have unlimited fun.
It is one of the six universal theme parks worldwide and an excellent place to let out your inner child. Not only will visiting it add to your list of things to do in Osaka, but it also helps you make memories. It will be best for you to have a camera to capture moments when visiting it.
- Osaka Aquarium Kaiyukan:
If you are curious about sea creatures, one thing to do in Osaka is to visit the aquarium to give you a satisfying feeling. From research, we see that it is one of the largest aquariums globally, so there is almost no sea creature you will not see at this aquarium.
The tour guides are also knowledgeable and ready to have any related questions you might have. One of its highlights is that it is suitable for both children and adults, giving everyone something to do in Osaka. Without a doubt, it is one of the significant Osaka attractions.
- Tempozan Giant Ferris Wheel:
Many foreigners usually want to enjoy a place to the fullest, and you cannot do so if you are not having fun. Whenever you visit Osaka, ensure to see the Ferris Wheels and have a ride on it. It allows you to get an exquisite view of the city, and we know that you will not regret it.
It has been in place for about 23 years as it became open to the public on the 12th of June 1997. However, it is still efficient and something that tourists always talk about even when they leave the city. The staff also ensure to be professional and look out for your comfort.
Did you know that getting an excellent view of a city calms the mind and puts a smile on your face? If you want to experience such happiness, you should add visiting this place to your list of things to do in Osaka. It is a high tower that also serves as a landmark and has an observation deck for people to relax and overlook the city.
Getting to this tower will not be an issue as it is famous and any local can give you the directions. Asides from the city’s view, you can also watch the sunset, and you will realize that you are not the only one doing it.
- Osaka Tennoji Zoo:
One Osaka attraction that holds the interest of many foreigners is this zoo because it has various animals. It is not that the Osaka zoo is the most significant worldwide as it is a small zoo, but it helps familiarize yourself with different animals that you may have never seen before.
If it is your first time visiting a zoo, you will be glad as the employees ensure that everyone has a fulfilling time. You should know that entrance into this zoo is not free, but the fee is affordable. People tend to lose track of time while at this zoo as there are different animals’ activities.
- Nakanoshima Rose Garden:
If you are still thinking of things to do in Osaka, you should visit this garden. Not only is it a park, but it was the first public park in Osaka, established in 1891. Currently, it doubles as a park and library, so you can relax in its gardens, and also visit the library to get more information.
Its garden is beautiful, as the roses are enchanting and give an indescribable warmth to anyone who visits it. It is also one of those places where you will lose track of time due to the conducive atmosphere, and you can take captivating pictures.
- Osaka Museum of Housing and Living:
One of the best things to do in Osaka and any city you visit is to check out its museums. This museum in Osaka covers the town’s evolution over the years, and you can see the carrying culture plus how housing has evolved.
It gives a clearer insight into the people’s lifestyle, and you can see the first house built in the city. People say that it provides a feel of the ‘old Osaka,’ and we know that foreigners wish to experience something due to their curious minds. It will be wrong not to visit this place before leaving the city.
- Namba Yasaka Shrine:
If you are curious about Osaka’s predominant religion or how the people worship, paying a visit to this shrine will not be a bad addition to the list of things to do in Osaka. You will be intrigued about this shrine from the entrance as the building is shaped like a lion’s head, and you will want to explore further.
It is free to visit this place, and you can get many souvenirs to buy, which will serve as a remembrance when you leave the city. We do not know if you have ever visited any other shrine, but this place is unique and has the perfect interiors to take pictures of.
- Tonbori River Cruise:
It will be wrong to say that you visited Osaka if you do not go on a boat ride before leaving. Thus, a river cruise is on the list of things to do in Osaka. By having this boat tour, you get to see the city from another perspective while on a waterbody, and you will have fun while doing it.
Typically, you get to meet people and possibly make new friends. The boat rides are something that you will not forget easily, and it is not time-consuming as the entire time estimation for the guide is about 20 minutes.
Restaurants to Visit in Osaka
As a foreigner in a new place, there is always the urge to try the different local cuisines, and it will be best to do so in a high-quality restaurant. Visiting such restaurants and trying out their meals also stands as one thing to do in Osaka.
Some of the best restaurants to visit in Osaka are:
- Osaka Summerlin:
You should know what this place is that you should expect nothing other than Japanese meals as it is a full-time Japanese restaurant. The staff is always professional, guiding foreigners through the different meal options, so you will know the one to pick. The great taste of the meals is undeniable, as one will agree that deliberate effort and consciousness was put into ensuring that the meals are of a high-quality. The chefs and entire staff members always provide to make the environment entertaining and lively so that customers will have an all-round experience. It is one of the best you will find.
- Osaka Tarrytown:
Many people love that this restaurant stays open until late hours as it typically closes by 10 pm but sometimes stays until 11 pm. It also customers the opportunity to either dine-in or order online. However, since you are looking for things to do in Osaka and wish to explore thoroughly, it will be best to dine-in.
Their sushi rolls are usually the talk of the day, and the freshness of the meals is what endears this place to the hearts of many people. It is also significant that they have attentive staff who pay attention to details. Eating at this place will have you craving for more.
- Osaka Lucky Garden:
One can say that this is a new restaurant as it was established in 2012. Its focus is on Chinese meals, so lovers of this option have a secured place to eat. They have an array of tasty options on their menu, making it hard to make a choice, so you may end up trying out different options, but we know that you will not regret any of it.
One of their highlights is the fair pricing of its meals, so you do not have to worry even if you traveled on a budget. The atmosphere is also soothing and calm, making this restaurant one of the best places to dine.
- Osaka Muscatine:
It will not be wrong to visit this place with high expectations as they deliver nothing short of top-notch services. They have soothing meals for every mood, and you will be left craving for more due to its deliciousness. It also has a conducive atmosphere and an enabling environment for mingling.
Thus, it is not surprising that many people love to eat at this place, and you will get it as one of the top recommendations. If you are ever confused about what to pick from the menu, have no worries as either a staff member or a local will help you out.
- Kuma Kafe:
One of the restaurant’s best features is its strategic location as it is almost at the city center, making it easily accessible. Although it takes up a simple structure, the quality of food it serves to its customers is unbeatable, making it one of the top places in the city. They also have an array of options on the menu, and all of them will have you licking your fingers. There is a certain warmth you will feel at this place due to the people’s friendliness, and you can also make friends with other foreigners. You should ensure to ensure at this place before leaving the city.
Best Places to Stay in Osaka
It is typical for people to be curious about the best place to stay in a city, so that we would be highlighting some of the hotels and accommodation options in Osaka:
- The Lively Honmachi Osaka: It is one of the city’s high-class hotels that offer luxurious rooms at a fair price. Its location is strategic as it is close to different tourist attractions, and they have friendly customer service officers. This hotel’s interior decoration makes it more attractive, and its cleanliness is the icing on the cake. Be assured that there is air condition in all the rooms.
- Conrad Osaka: This hotel assures you of your safety as they strive to ensure that their customers leave the same way they arrive. Although its prices may be on the high side, it is one of Osaka’s best places. They have different amenities for comfort, including a pool and spa and a no smoking policy.
- Guesthouse Laule’a天王寺: Since it is a guest house, you know that the price will be lower than other accommodation options. It is a comfortable place that gives the feel of home, and you will be comfortable for the duration of your stay. The kitchen area is always clean, and you get to enjoy free Wi-Fi.
- Doyanen Hotels Bakuro: The way the people at this hotel will care for you will make you want to spend long days in it. It is one of the best places to stay in Osaka as the services are excellent, and the rooms are air-conditioned. It offers comfort on an irresistible platter, making it outstanding.
- Air Osaka Hostel: If you do not have enough money to stay in a hotel, one of the best place to stay in Osaka is this hostel. Although you get to share the kitchen with others, you have private rooms that are always clean, and there is a window for interaction with people. It also has a bar for entertainment and relaxation.
Top Ten Things to Do in Tokyo
If you have been asking people questions on what to do in Tokyo without getting a response, allow us to answer it as we highlight some of the top places to visit and engage in exciting activities:
- Tokyo Sky Tree: You already know that a sky tree will be a high building, so you should visit it if you want to get a fantastic view of the city. Interestingly, it has an observation deck since overlooking the town has become a favorite activity of many tourists. You will also see gift shops to purchase local souvenirs.
- Tokyo Disneyland: We have not seen anyone who is not excited about the thoughts of visiting Disneyland, irrespective of their age, so we know that this is one of the things to do in Tokyo. It is a theme park with different fun activities, allowing you to make friends and let go of worries.
- Odaiba: It is one of the islands in Osaka that presents a relaxing and comforting scene. Since it is an island, you know that you will enjoy the water’s soothing feel, and there are sushi bars in the environs. There is also a Ferris Wheel for people to have fun.
- Yoyogi Park: It is a place to visit during weekdays if you are looking for a quiet and relaxing environment to meditate. However, you can see it on Sundays to enjoy concerts if that is your idea concerning what to do in Tokyo. The atmosphere is always live so that you will have a fun experience.
- Mount Takao: Hiking and enjoying wildlife counts as things to do in Tokyo, and this mountain serves as the perfect location for it. Some people affiliate this mountain to Buddhism, and tracing the history is something that most foreigners do not mind. However, others focus on the exciting activities that will keep them busy. You can also go on cable car rides.
- Rainbow Bridge: You cannot say that you had a complete Tokyo experience if you do not feast your eyes on this bridge before leaving the city. Its colorfulness has a way of unknowingly putting a smile on the face of many people, so visiting this bridge should be on your list of what to do in Tokyo.
- Tokyo National Museum: if you are a lover of art, you should visit this museum as you will see an array of art collections that will leave you satisfied. Through the artworks, you learn more about Japanese culture, and it will be an eye-opener. You also get to know about Buddhism through art exhibitions.
- Ueno Zoo: It is Japan’s oldest zoo, and it is also extensive as you will see over 200 different animals. You should know that visiting the zoo is one of the things to do in Tokyo, especially as not all cities worldwide have a zoo. You will learn and get to see animals you haven’t seen before when you visit this zoo.
- Inokashira Park: One of the fun activities to do in Tokyo is boating, and you can see boats for rent at this park. Some people might say that they do not know how to boat, but it gives you the perfect opportunity to learn as the locals are always helpful and friendly.
- Edo Castle Ruins: It is one of the city’s landmarks as it was once a palace, but the ruins are what exists today. The original castle was built in 1457. It has a beautiful environment as the flowers are enchanting and moats. It is a place to relax and catch a break from life.
Best Places to Stay in Tokyo
If you do not want accommodation to be an issue while in Tokyo, here are some of the best places to stay in Tokyo:
- The Hideout Tokyo – Boutique Hotel:
It is a perfect place for those on a budget. Although there are no pools or hot tubs, it is a comfortable space, and you will not regret staying there as it is one of the best places to stay in Tokyo.
- Park Hotel Tokyo:
The hotel’s price range depends on the room you choose as they have different options. It has a restaurant where you can enjoy the local meals, and it is at a strategic location. People always have a lovely time when they lodge here.
- Dormy Inn Akihabara:
This place is one of the best places to stay in Tokyo, especially as it offers spa services. You also get to enjoy free Wi-Fi services, as well as conducive rooms that will give you a happy stay.
- Khaosan Tokyo Samurai:
If you want to be close to many of the city’s tourist attractions, you should lodge at this hotel. The rooms and the kitchen area are always clean, and the atmosphere is relaxing. The friendly aura surrounding it is also captivating.
- Aman Tokyo:
This hotel has many amenities for comfort, so it is one of the best places to stay in Tokyo. It has a restaurant, bar, and pool, so you know that you will be well-relaxed, and the rooms are also comfortable.
We hope that your plans to make any of these cities your next holiday destination look brighter now that you have this information. The ball is now in your court to make the best of the journey. Kindly share with us your thoughts in the comment section below.